Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I love you for sentimental reasons

One of the reasons I like to read and learn about Eastern Religions, namely Buddhism, is because I have an extremely hard time letting go - example: I've had a gray T Shirt for a decade. It looks it too. Should have been trashed years ago. But, I hold on, because, well that T Shirt reminds me of things, places, a time, and I don't want to lose that connection. Funny side story about me, If I do get the nuts to get rid of something, like the Gray T Shirt, I'll almost always burn it. Yes, you read that correctly - I burn it, or will destroy it in some other ritualistic way. I'm a freak. I admit that. That's not the point of today's BLOG. Now, that I've told you that, consider this: We've removed Ethan's crib from his room, into Wyatt's room, and removed Wyatt's crib (which was a hand-me-down) out of the house completely.

You can well imagine the psychic funk this put me into - considering the T Shirt story. It was compounded by the fact that it went down this past Saturday, while I was at work. Granted I'm the quintessential un-handy man, and really wouldn't have been all that much help in getting it apart and back together in Wyatt's room, that's not my point. My point is, that as I put Ethan to bed in his Crib (something I've pretty much done, every night since January 2002) on Friday night, and got him out on Saturday AM, I had NO idea that it was the last time I'd do it. Silly. Yes. Sentimental. For sure.

Ethan is now sleeping (and doing fine I might add) in his big bed. At three years of age, this is how it should be, something we should rejoice, a milestone on this safari of life.

Every time Ethan and Wyatt pass a milestone, take that big step, I see it for what it truly is: a step away from me, and their Mom. I know that is the point, our job as parents, to raise happy, good Boy(s) that can make their way in this world. Doesn't make it any easier though, especially for a Boy Named Stu that has a hell of time letting go...alas I'm far from being the Buddha of Westwood Drive.

At least the crib didn't leave the house entirely, since it is now in Wyatt's room. This is not only good for my psyche, but also for the ozone layer and my marriage. I'm not sure how either would handle me burning the crib in our backyard.
Until I BLOG again...Let Go.

No comments: