Friday, July 06, 2007

Won't pass me by

On my fifth father's day as a father I found myself on the phone with my father who was on his thirty ninth. I had just wished him a happy father's day, to which he had replied, same to you. I always find that odd, when he turns the happy father's day wish back at me.

As soon as our happy father's day circle jerk was over, the conversation turned to how his high school reunion was going in Tulsa. That quickly turned to a lady that he had hoped to see at said reunion.

"She's a feisty little thing. She reminds me of your Mom."
Nice, I thought, what every woman longs to hear on a date, you remind me of my dead wife.
"Jesus Dad, Don't tell her that."
"Oh, I won't...I'm not stupid."

Later in the day, watching Ninja Turtles with a feverish Little Warrior I did the math and realized that it took us about five years to have the first Boy. The memory that there had once been a time, when we feared that we'd never be able to have our own children, was, absurd. Two Boy(s) later, on that day, I could barely remember our trials and tribulations. It was long forgotten. Gone. Like Mom.

Pardon my cliche, but seriously, snap your fingers. We'll be in the Buck Rogers future and that version of the Boy(s) will be reading this maudlin shit.

I hope those future versions are happy. That's all I really want for either of you.

Until I BLOG again...Like the fool I am, and I'll always be.

No comments: