Sunday, April 18, 2004

Damn you Oobi!

After a particularly brutal night with the Little Warrior (a.k.a. Boy #2), I was up at the crick of the crack (read: early) with the Elder Boy. He wanted to watch Oobi.

Oobi (see image above, Oobi is on the left) is a curious and gentle four-year-old bare-hand puppet (with eyes and accessories) who discovers the world around him with his three year old sister Uma, and his best friend Kako. Grampu plays the grandpa. Like Oobi, they are all bare hand puppets. Oobi is a regular program in our casa, Ethan digs it the most. I think the reasons is Oobi speaks to his stage (I think the proper term is age-appropriate) of life when everything is new and incredible. Building a block tower, making cookies, using the phone. Oobi is a show about children's first awkward attempt at mastery and meaning. It's a show (like this here BLOG) about the everyday revelations.

So, you ask: "What's the problem?"
I reply: "Instant gratification."
You think: "?"

Best I can figure, being 2 is all about being in the NOW.

So, while watching Oobi one morning (again, after a hard night with Wyatt), Ethan and I are watching Oobi on the sectional. I'm drinking coffee. He's drinking warm chocolate milk.

TV
Oobi and Kako are painting.

Ethan
"Me Paint...Please. Me Paint."

Daddy Says
"You want to paint? Let's watch Oobi, son. It's early. You'll get to paint at School later this morning."

Daddy Thinks
Painting is the LAST thing I want to do at 7:30 in the morning! How can I get him off painting? Maybe I should offer him donuts?

TV
Oobi and Kako are no longer painting, they are now eating pizza.

Ethan
"Me pizza. I'm hungry. Pizza please."

Daddy Says
"We don't have any pizza, son. If you're hungry, how about some (in quick succession, met w/ violent NOs!) cereal, cream of wheat, toast, eggs, pancakes, cereal bar, oatmeal, and waffle."

Daddy Thinks
I could go for some pizza myself - but - I don't think we have any frozen pizza, and best I can figure, Pizza Hut doesn't open until lunch time.

Ethan
"NO, Pizza Please." x10

TV
Oobi and Uma are playing with a toy car.

Ethan
"I want my trucks. Truck please."

Daddy Says
"Get them yourself."

Daddy Thinks
Not the toy cars and trucks. Shit. He's going to get them all over the place and I'm going to have to pick them up before I go to work, and I'm already running late. What time is it? I need to get in the shower. Where in the hell is Carter?

Meanwhile
The Elder Boy walks over to the armoire and grabs a basket full of cars/trucks, and dumps onto the floor - next to Dog Dog's bed/head - she tries to pop up, but her old legs don't work that fast these days. She does a spindly leg Bambi kind of a thing, as she tries to walk around the flotsam.

Daddy Says
"Ethan, don't dump your toys all over the floor Poor Dog Dog. She's scared!"

Daddy Thinks
Poor Sophie. She looks miserable. I think she'd walk her forehead into a loaded gun at this point. We need to put her to sleep.

TV
Oobi is now on the phone.

Ethan
"Me talk on the phone. Call Granny and Poooops."

Daddy Says
"Get Mickey." (we have an old mickey mouse phone that he uses as a toy in our pad.)

Daddy Thinks
Don't fall and hit your head on the F***ing fireplace mantel! I hate that damn thing!!!

TV
Oobi winds up his call (before the Boy can make 'his' call) and the credits start to roll.

Ethan
"NO!!!!!!!!!! Ooobbbbbbiiiii!!!!!!!!!!"

Daddy Says
"It's OK Ethan, Oobi will be on later. Call Granny and Pops"

Daddy Thinks
What's on Noggin next? I hope it's not Miffy.

Ethan
"NO!!!!!!!!!! Ooobbbbbbiiiii!!!!!!!!!!"

TV
Oobi's credits end, and Oobi seques to Moosey Moose, who is Noggin's master of ceremony - between the cartoons.

Ethan is not pleased to see the Moose.



Ethan
"GO away!" (he wants the Moose to leave so Oobi can come back)
"Bye Bye Moose. Go AWAY!!!"

Wild hang gestures, and his famous wave-off...

Daddy Says
"Settle down. It's ok Boy. What do you want to watch?"

Daddy Thinks
Is it to early to have a beer(s)?

At which point, Ethan still wailing for Oobi, only a cup of coffee in me, tired from the Little Warriors antics (he, by the way, is happily in his crib asleep at this point.)

Daddy Thinks & I'm afraid Says
"DAMN YOU OOBI!!!!!!!!!!!"

Until I BLOG again...Peace.

No comments: