Friday, June 11, 2004

Stop that noise.

One of Boy #1's most cherished books is on the subject of trucks. This large format book has different categories of trucks and heavy equipment on each spread. For example, one spread has emergency type vehicles (paramedic truck, firetruck, firetruck with telescopic ladder, etc.) On each page of the spread there is a question relating to the action on the pages. On the page I described, the question would be: Which truck rescues people trapped in high places? You can't really read this book. You just look at the pictures, and ask the questions. Ethan loves to play along. So much so, that it has shaped his behavior on other books.

The other night he was wanting me to read a truck book he got at the library. This book, had a traditional kid type narative, which I started to read.

Me: (reading the book)
Ethan: Read the book, please.
Me: I'm reading the book?
Ethan: Read the book!
Me: That's what I'm doing Boy (and I start reading again.)
Ethan: (stern look on his face - points at me) Stop that noise.
Me: Excuse me?
Ethan: Daddy, stop that noise. Read book.

The proverbial light bulb goes off over my head - - and it dawns on me that he wants me to ask him questions about the action on the pages - - which I do...and all is fine in our world.

Until I BLOG again....Stop that noise.

No comments: