Wednesday, August 23, 2006

That techno-rock you guys listen to is gutless

I'm not sure why, or when, but at some point music that me and the Boy(s) equally dig has been dubbed mad music. In the beginning this was primarily any music that was either hard, or fast. Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day is a good example. As is God Save the Queen by The Sex Pistols.

I freely admit their taste in music, which mirrors mine (which I guess is nothing more than ego stroking,) makes me extremely proud. I dig the fact that one of Ethan's first favorite songs wasn't a tune by Barney, but what he dubbed Pick Up The Pieces which is actually titled My Head Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg). In my book, that is pretty cool.

Sure, the Boy(s) do like some kid type songs. They dig Laurie Berkner for example, but she's not that bad actually. I'd much rather listen to her sing about dinosaurs than the Hi-5 kids sing their crap.

Lately though, the Boy(s) have bastardized the meaning of mad music. The connotation isn't so much hard, or fast as much as it is music that they listen to with me, usually in my car.

Wy Wy digs Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne. It is a catchy song, but mad, I think not. Still, Wy Wy will load up in the XTerra, and as I strap the Boy into his seat, he'll yell, "Daa! Want ear MAD music."

"Sure Wy Wy, what do you want to hear?"

"Stacy's Mommy." That alone is priceless, that he calls Mom, Mommy, but as is usual, trying to teach the Boy to be polite, I have to prompt him on his manners.

"Stacy's Mom - what?"

"Stacy's Mommy PLEASE!"

At which point I'll crank it up and Wy Wy does what can best be described as a seated (in a car seat mind you) slam dance. He'll thrash his head back and forth (looks painful) and rock out to what is probably his number one song, Stacy's Mommy.

The Older Boy is a bit more punk rock, as illustrated above about his love of The Ramones. But lately, he also has altered what the meaning of mad music. Dig this. One of his current favorite songs, are you ready - My Kind Of Lover by Billy Squier. Seriously.

About the only thing I can think Billy Squier would have to be mad about, would be his his unrequited stroke request.

Until I BLOG again...Man, it's like tripendicular, ya know?

No comments: