Friday, March 27, 2009

These things, they go away

"I don't like Dora," Wy said. "It's boring."

I smiled, looking at the TV, and dropping Wy's clothes onto the floor next to him as Dora the Explorer started on Nick. Before I knew it, my old friend Tico was on screen driving me down memory lane.

"You like Tico, don't you Dad?"

"Yeah," I said remembering how I often told Wy that Tico was my friend. It was a running joke with me and the two year old version of him. Back when he used to watch (and like) Dora.

"I do like Tico."

For a moment Wy smiled, perhaps remembering the joke and our shared thing, but a moment isn't very long in our casa.

"I don't like Dora," he repeated. "It's boring."

"You used to like Dora," I said. "You used to like Dora a lot."

"No I didn't," he said.

"It's OK if you like Dora," I said. "You don't have to stop liking it 'cause you are older. You can still like it, even if you don't want to watch it like you did when you were little."

"It's boring," he said, smiling, knowingly.

"Yeah," I agreed. "It was so boring you not only had a Dora bike helmet, you also wore Dora shoes."

"I didn't," Wy shouted!

"Dude," I said. "You did and I have proof."

"Dad..." Wy started, but I wasn't listening.

You see Dear Reader, I was stuck in my own moment, mesmerized by how three years can on one hand seem so long ago, and on another like the blink of my eye.



Until I BLOG again...Replaced by everyday.

1 comment:

StephanieG said...

Maybe Wy can get on board with the new Skanky Dora when she rolls into the hood in the fall.

Thank you Nickelodeon for further effin up our young 'uns.