Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, But it doesn’t mean you ain’t been on my mind

Long time no BLOG from this here Boy named Stu. I do believe it is the longest span between posts since I started this here BLOG. No excuse other than the usual - work - home - squirrels (I'll BLOG about that later.) Not necessarily in that order either. Speaking of work, damn near a week ago, I was sitting in the Closet of Love (that's what I've named my Office) when my cell phone Boomer Sooner'd (I'm a nerd, I have Boomer Sooner as my ring tone on my phone.) It was my lovely Bride per the caller I.D. I answered with my customary, "What's up?" I should note that its not unusual for Cart to call me during the work-a-world day, but we don't make a big habit of it. Thus, when she calls its usually has a point.

"What's up?"
"Ethan has had a dental emergency."
"Excuse me?"

Sickness. Starting with a lump in my throat and ending up in the pit of my stomach, as she explained that Ethan had fallen in the Jungle Gym thingy at McDonald's and knocked out one of his teeth. She was taking him to a Dentist. My mind was so rattled by he news, I had to have her repeat the address x3.

"I'm on my way."

So, off I rushed out of the Closest of Love to a Dentist by our house where they were going to address my Elder Boys busted tooth/teeth.

Not knowing what to expect, little info really, my mind raced as I negotiated the beating that is Dallas traffic. My thoughts were all over the place. I imagined horrible scenarios, Ethan missing multiple teeth, black and blue, and then my mind swung round and I thought, Shit, my shirt is going to get ruined because he's probably bleeding like a stuck pig. That soon switched to what Wyatt was doing during all of this - I can only imagine the car ride to the dentist from McDonald's - Ethan crying/screaming. Carter upset, trying to keep it together. Little WT - who knew?

15 minutes later, mind still racing, I took a deep breath and prepared to walk into Dr. Train's office (funny that the Doc's name is Train - Ethan is crazy about trains - not as funny as the fact that back in the day when we couldn't procreate, I went to male fertility Doctor named...drum roll...Bush) wanting to be calm and collected for the Team. I was obviously nervous at what I was going to find - but - in one of those real life - not funny like it is on tv, or smart like it is in books moments, I slowed down, put on a happy face, and tried to exude a calm - things will be coolio - facade.

I walked into the big office finding my Team on the floor in front of one of those Leggo tables. Carter dressed in a white t-shirt looked like she worked in a slaughter house, Ethan had his back to me, sort of playing, and Wyatt was in his car seat, oblivious to the proceedings. Ethan (who wasn't crying when I walked into the office) immediately turned and saw me and started crying - hard. Funny, I can remember crying like that with my Parents. Seems like yestreday. I guess it was a month ago - kidding - something happened, and you see them and BAM, waterworks. I scooped up my Elder Boy, and held him, and started walking the floor. As he cried and I walked around the office with him (stopping to do the instant karma head shake thing to the Little Warrior in his car seat, who smiled, and did it back), I remembered all the times I'd walked the floor with Ethan when he was little, infant/baby little. He's not necessarily big yet, not 3 until January 17th - but he seems like such a big kid to me, and his Mom, and well, all this raced through my head as we walked the floor.

The sickness in my stomach was gone. I started talking about the balloon posters on the wall, and the train poster, etc. He started asking "What that train doing Daddy?" type questions. I knew he'd be ok, that's we'd all by ok. His tooth wasn't gone gone. It was loose, but should tighten up in a week or so. No root damage. The plug (read: infernal pacifier) had actually had a point, all the sucking had made his teeth point in a way that they weren't knocked into each other, requiring dental work. He had a pretty good bruise, some swelling, and pain. Lot of blood (all of which was on his Mom's shirt.) But, all in all he's no worse for the wear. Breathe out.

We made it through our first mad dash to the Doctor event. In hindsight I think we handled it pretty well - again, its one of those surreal life moments you find yourself - and it seems to be going on to someone else. You just try to keep your shit together and do right by your Team. Most of what I know about such things, to be honest, I learned from my Dad, who was nearly always calm, reassuring, and strong. Not, don't cry you pussy strong. Strong enough to make you feel that everything is going to be, cool. But soft enough to feel ok about crying, or being upset, scared, etc. That's how I hoped I was - and will continue to be for my Boy(s).

Until I BLOG Again...F (BOMB) Ronald McDonald!

No comments: