Friday, July 16, 2004

Instant Karma

The Little Warrior has the curious habit of turning his head (a non-verbal no if you will) from side to side. Starting at about, four and a half months, he would turn his head to the right, then left, then back again, over and over. He obviously dug doing it - and I started mirroring him. At the six month mark, developmentally, he started getting cause and effect. Those that have had kids, dig this. Baby drops a spoon. You pick it up, and hand it back. Baby drops it again. They aren't trying to annoy you, or be a pain the ass, just experimenting with the nature of things. I guess some would call this karma at the most basic level. But, this here BLOG isn't an Eastern Religion course, you can think about that on your own time. This is about me and Wyatt. At six months, when I started repeating his head turn from side to side trick, he got that I was doing it because he had just done it. Totally jazzed him that I was doing it. As he got it, he would break out in the biggest smile, giggle, coo, and then repeat. I'd do it, over and over (it beats the spoon drop game - trust me on that one.)

The way it goes down at Team Tinsley, is that when I'm home I'm usually wrangling Boy #1. At first the Elder Boy was jealous of his little Brother, and wanted me to spend time with him - "MY Daddy" was often heard in our house whenever I tried to hold Wyatt, or do something with him. Now that he's used to the reality of having a brother, its more about his activity level. He's just into a lot more stuff - active - running amok - which requires me to step in when I get home, etc. Remember, his Mom has been dealing with him and his brother ALL day long. I also want to point out that it's not like I never handle the Younger Boy, but in all honestly, I don't get to handle him as much as I did Ethan at the same age. I have to admit, this was disconcerting at first. I was concerned that me and Wyatt wouldnt' have as strong of a bond as Ethan and I. Add that to the fact that most of my one-on-one time with Wyatt was carved out at strange times. Early AM. Late at night. Generally when Boy #1 was out of the picture, Mommy was up to something else. It seemed that I had Wyatt at times, when there was little left of me to give, that's my point. Again, deep down, unspoken, this concerned me. I worried. I always worry. But as the song goes - I could spend my days worrying and wishing. Time passed. And one fine day, the head side to side clicked. Wyatt got that I was doing it, after he did it, because he was doing it.

It became ourgame. I'd do it while I fed him. Changing him. Random times. Eventually I started beating him to the punch and did it first. I especially enjoy doing it if I'm doing something with Ethan and Wyatt is watching. Say, Wyatt is in the saucer watching Ethan and I (something he does a lot.) I'm reading a truck book to Ethan. Without Ethan even knowing, I'll look up, make eye contact with the Little Warrior and do my head side to side....and then watch him break into the biggest grin, because he knows that I'm doing this just for him. It is our thing. Unspoken bond. It's a silly little thing that we do...but in the end, most of the good things in life are the silly little things.

As Dino Paul Crocetti once sang:
You're nobody till somebody loves you
You're nobody till somebody cares

You may be king
You may posses the world and its gold
But gold wont bring you happiness when you're growing old

Until I BLOG again...Find somebody to love.

No comments: