Thursday, April 22, 2004

Brother Bear = Tootsie


The Elder Boy has been wanting to buy Brother Bear. Buy is the same as renting as far as he is concerned. We've been hearing the following for weeks.

"Brother Bear please."
"Buy Brother Bear."
"Me want Brother Bear."
"Brother Bear, Please"

Over and over and over and over. We attempted to buy it this past Saturday night, but there weren't any VHS copies at Blockbuster.

We interrupt this BLOG to bring you a tangent rant: I realize the future is NOW, and that I probably should buy a DVD player. However, it pisses me off that a large corporate entity such as BlCockbuster is forcing my hand by only offering a handful of VHS copies on new releases, while stocking tons of DVDs. They had a wall in the kids section dedicated to Brother Bear. My guess would be 50. 45 DVDs, 5 VHS copies. Join me in giving a collective finger to BlCockbuster!

We now return to my original point...Back to Saturday night, I'm standing in a crowded BlCockbuster (Cart and The Little Warrior are in the car waiting) with my eldest Boy in front of the Brother Bear wall, trying to explain to Ethan that there aren't any Brother Bear movies to buy. 50 cases on the wall would lead you to believe otherwise, but, as you probably know, at BlCockbuster they don't rent movies in their original jackets. Ethan wasn't getting this though, and thought I was ignoring his request. As you can imagine, it wasn't a good scene. After asking one of the BlCockbuster(s) if they had any (just) returned VHS copies of Brother Bear (answer: "NO, but we got 30 DVDs ready to rent!"), I quickly appeased the Elder Boy with a gum ball, and bought Scooby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire.

Fast forward to Wednesday, and every member of Team Tinsley has viewed Scooby multiple times. I for one, have seen it so many times, I think I could star in my own one man production. Not that I'm complaining. We've had some good times watching it. The gripping mystery centering around the kids going Down Under, and getting entangled in a mystery involving the Yowie Yahoo. You haven't lived until you've seen the "Meddling Kids" perform the Scooby Doo theme song at a Lollapalooza-esque concert at Vampire Rock. Speaking of the theme song. Ethan has the curious habit of dancing everytime he hears it. As soon as the song begins, he stops whatever he is doing (he multi-taks, it is a rare occasion to find him just watching tv) and runs in front of the TV and dances. Dances his ass off, actually. Exaggerated arms, hopping around, dancing. As I've BLOGGED before, Dog Dog's bed is pretty close to the TV armoire. Thus, when the Boy starts his clod hop dance, she becomes agitated, and gets up from her bed, and starts to pace around him. From the vantage point of the Sectional, it appears they are dancing together. Funny.

Back to Wednesday. Even though Ethan has enjoyed the Scooby video, he has continued to ask to buy Brother Bear. I decided to swing by BlCockbuster on my way home that night and see if could buy it. Victory was mine. Aside from being a 1st class Dad (Don't forget June 20th Day is Father's Day), I had ulterior motives. Wednesday was BDrunco for Carter. I had Boy(s) patrol. I figured Brother Bear would make my watch a 'bit' easier.

For those sans kids, Brother Bear is a story about three brothers. They are Intuit. World is just coming out of the Ice Age. After a bear takes the life of the oldest brother, impulsive youngest brother Kenai kills the bear in revenge, only to be transformed into a bear himself. Denami, the middle brother, comes upon this bear and, thinking it killed Kenai, vows revenge. Now brother hunts brother and Kenai's only hope for survival is to befriend his own worst enemy, a grizzly cub named Koda. Koda's main goal is to show Kenai the real meaning of brotherhood. It is a story of a boy who becomes a man...by becoming a bear (their line, not mine.)

Didn't I see/hear that somewhere before? As I pondered that thought, duty called; bottle, bath, night night for Boy #2, bath, hot chocolate, books, night night for Boy #1.

Much later, as I lay in bed, drifting off to night night, it hit me.

Brother Bear is essentially the same story as Tootsie.

For those who never seen Tootsie, it is a story of a extremely difficult actor who becomes a woman to get work as an actor. While a woman he falls in love (with a woman) with one of his co-stars, this woman also falls in love with him, but since she thinks he's a she, well - comedy ensues. It is the story of a man who became a better man... by becoming a woman (my line.)

Regardless if you agree or disagree with my Brother Bear = Tootsie summation (chime in Dear Readers, comments are lovely), I think we can all agree on this: I need to buy a DVD player.


Until I BLOG again...Peace.

No comments: