Monday, April 05, 2004

Money, Inc.



I'm a week behind on this here, BLOG entry. Life. Been busy. Work. Home. Work. I have a pretty demanding job both at home and at work...but I still dedicate free time to this here BLOG. I steal a few minutes here, and there on my iBook, writing down my little thoughts. Dowloading my digital pics. Playing with HTML. Documenting our life - right here, now. So, someday, in the fast forwarded future we can look at these pages - and remember when. Still, people often ask me.

"Snake (that's my stage name, in my head at least), how do you find the time, and the energy to do all this web stuff?"

I get a glazed over look and then say.

"Crank.".

Bad joke for a family oriented BLOG...but if you know me, well, you expect this sicko kind of thing. Back to my point, and yes I do have one. One week ago yesterday, we farmed Boy #2 out to Mimi and Papa and took Boy #1 to Disney on Ice: Monsters, Inc. We went with the Horsmans - Brad, Cindy, and E's best gal pal, Autumn. If you know me, you know that I'm a tight ass. I don't like spending money. Monsters, Inc. was nothing but a way to get parents to spend money on crap for their kids. It was criminal. We paid $70 for three tickets. $10 to park. $10 for cotton candy that came with the blue plastic hat that E is wearing in the above pics. $16 for a kid tshirt. $3.50 on popcorn. $10 on beer (yes, I drank at a kiddie event, with songs like 9 to 5, Working for A Living, etc. well, it drove me to drink, and as most know, that isn't that far of a drive!) $119.50. That doesn't include the $50 we spent at Spaghetti warehouse on lunch prior to the show, or the $5 to park! $174.50.

I'd do damn near anything for any member of Team Tinsley. I love my family. But, $174.50 to go see a Skating rehash of Monsters, Inc on ice is criminal. Someone unplug Walt's cryogenic chamber in protest. How does an average income family afford to do anything in this day and age. The show - in case your curious, is literally Monsters, Inc. set to ice. They've cut the dialogue from the movie and use it in the show. You then have these 'actors' in costumes, skating around. Again, they threw in some spare songs - like 9 to 5? You haven't lived till you've seen the citizens of Monstropolis doing some Disco Ice Skating to a bad cover of 9 to 5. I think that's when I got my first beer! Of course, thru all of this, they have hundreds of people selling crap. The show was only 2 hours long, but they still had an intermission. Why? Sell crap. We actually got out pretty easy compared to most - I saw more than one exasperated Mom and or Dad, cave in to their screaming child and buy a $20 icee (Hey, you get a keepsake plastic cup) - yes, ICE with sugar water for $20. Pinch me. Poor parents probably wondering how they are going to pay their phone bill!

I'll let Hamm sum up my thoughts on all this crap that was purchased for mucho dinero. Who's Hamm? He was the dog in Disney and Pixar's Toy Story.

"Yes sir, we're next month's garage sale fodder for sure."

Thus ends my rant on Monsters, Inc. Forever now known to me as: Money, Inc. Did the Elder Boy have fun? Yes. He was done before the show was over - but all in all he had a nice time. But, I'd bet you the $174.50 that I spent that he would have had just as much fun if we had stayed home and I'd have let him play with our water hose in the back yard.

Until I BLOG again.

No comments: