Monday, May 10, 2004

What's so fine about art...

When I made my 34th Lap around El Sol on Mother Earth I can say without a doubt that up to that point in my life I had changed a total of 3 diapers. That is a strange thought considering that now, I've changed roughly at least one diaper (often more) a day since January 17, 2002. I'm not very good at Math, so someone else break out the slide ruler and figure out how many diapers that is over the past 2 years. My point is this, I went from never changing diapers, to it being a normal part of my day. Just something I do. Heck, Carter is the real hero in this diaper saga, she changes more than me being a stay-at-home Mom. But, I'm a pretty progressive Daddio and have changed my fair share of diapers. I can honestly say, I'm not bothered by the poop, or the pee. I have a rot-gut stomach, so that sort of a thing don't bother me one dang dog bit. What does bother me about diapers, aside from their cost, is this: asinine diaper art.



For me, nothing adds insult to injury to a bad diaper changing episode than to take off a Boy(s) pants and to have to look at some goofy ass kid art on the front of the diaper. Why? As far as I can tell, when the kids are really small, they are oblivious to the artwork. Boy #1 is now old enough to know what is going on - and he doesn't give a shit (pun intended) about the artwork. He doesn't have a favorite. I don't get requests for the "monkey with the drum" one. So, Poor Daddy (Me), having to mop up a bad bowel movement and ending on the lovely note of staring at a seal with a horn. What does a seal with a horn have to do with anything? Who thinks this crap (my puns are shit too) up...does Huggies (our brand of choice, mainly because you can get it by the gaggle at Sam's Club) have a team of artists on staff? Do these artists sit around and pitch concepts? "Hmmm, Fred, what we need on the size 5 diaper collection is a horse with a toothbrush. Toddlers love horses!"

Do they have artwork on Depends? Now I realize incontinence is not funny. But, if I'm an older adult who is having leakage issues, a cartoon might be the thing I need to make light of the problem? Probably not. I'm sure I'd be pissed (will the puns never end) at the insolent behavior of the diaper manufacturers. They probably and rightfully realize that adults don't want to see silly cartoons on the front of their diapers. If that is true, wouldn't it stand to reason that adults don't want to look at the goofy cartoons on the front of their kid's diapers?

Until I BLOG again...Peace.

No comments: