Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I need to remember this...

Last night, doing the pre-night-night ritual, books in bed with Ethan, while I was reading Road Builders he quit looking at the book and starting looking at me. Intently. I kept reading for a few seconds, but felt his stare lingering. I turned and looked at him.

"Daddy. Touch your hair. Touch hair please."

I smiled at this strange request, but went with it, by leaning my head down and toward him, not unlike a dog will do when it wants to be patted.

Ethan ran his hands through my hair. After a few moments, he quit, took back his hand and said.

"Very nice."

The comment made me smile which turned into a laugh at the absurdness of it during book time. I didn't want him to think I was laughing at him, so I quit, and said.

"Thank you, Son."

He replied, very seriously I might add.
"Very nice. Daddy, very nice."

I was about to joke that it was because of my shampoo, Suave, like me - it would probably be over his head (insert bad pun groan) though - so I decided against it. Anyway, he was continuing to stare at me. Even now, it is hard to explain the stare, it was almost unsettling, in its intensity. So for a second time, I said.

"Thank you, Son."

He then leaned toward me, putting his forehead to my lips. That might not sound like much to you dear reader, but that is is how the Elder Boy gives a kiss. He actually never gives kisses. If you try to get a kiss from him he'll do the forehead thing. If you want a more standard kiss on the lips you have to stipulate that you want a mouth kiss.

We read books nearly every night. 7 days a week. On the weekends I generally do two a days (nap time too.) So, last night was nothing out of the ordinary. That's my point. I'm not sure why he picked last night to have this little affectionate moment with me. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter - the why, only that he did it. I didn't have time to give it much thought, because as soon as his forehead hit my lips, he turned back to the book and said.

"Read book please."

Until I BLOG again...Remember this.

No comments: