Thursday, February 17, 2005

Goodbye to All That

At times, I feel as if I (I guess I should change that to we - as in my Lovely Bride and me - since it is a tag team type of a deal) suck as a parent. Case in point. The Elder Boy is one month past his 3 year mark and he still has and uses a pacifier (we call it the plug.)

We have made certain steps to get him to let go of the plug habit. First step was not allowing him to take it out of the house. A few months later, we restricted his plug usage to his bedroom which is where we are at now, stalled. We've been in this mode for nearly six months.

We had high hopes of getting Ethan off the plug at the 2 year mark, but, we had the Little Warrior at about the same time, and well, he lived up to the billing, and was a holy terror for the first three months. We didn't have the energy, or I should say, resolve to get Ethan to quit the plug. Ethan was also going through the whole, I'm a baby phase because of his new brother, who, as a true baby was using a plug. It was complicated. We needed help. Enter the Plug Fairy. Yes, you read that correct - Plug Fairy.

The Plug Fairy is a mythical creature, cousin to the Tooth Fairy I guess, who drives a large semi-truck around collecting plugs from little boys and girls. He takes them to babies who need plugs. When you are ready, and you have to be ready, because the Plug Fairy don't dig Indian givers, you put all your plugs in a box, and leave it by your bed. While you sleep the Plug Fairy dusts his ass (in the big Semi-Truck) to your house, collects your plugs and leaves a gift that you have requested. Ethan wants Trevor.

For the last six months Ethan has waffled between wanting the Plug Fairy to come to his house - because he wanted some toy, to not wanting the Plug Fairy to come and take his plugs. Some days he'd get violent if you suggested the Plug Fairy, screaming "Bad Plug Fairy!" Other days he'd talk him up and then say, "Plug Fairy come tomorrow." Procrastinating, just like his Mom and Dad.

Then, this past Tuesday, Ethan re-hurt his teeth at school. This made sucking the plug painful. Couple that with the fact that we've been on what I've dubbed a toy moratorium since the Boy(s) birthdays and the holidays, Ethan, quite shrewdly figured it is the right time to summon the Plug Fairy.

Typical, I'm both sad and excited by the prospect of such a step. On one hand, I'm glad that the Boy is letter go of the plug, which is a big step for him. I also realize that this step is another away from me and his Mom. Bittersweet.

Until I BLOG again...Plug Fairy!

1 comment:

Bruce said...

hahahaha, having fun commenting on 7 year old posts. Weird to think back that while you were going through this phase of your life I was getting my head around the death of my Mom on December 22, 2004, something I had no idea would be happening until after September 18th, 2004. We were yet to be even friends at AUMC, who would've thought we'd be boyfriends. February 17 of 2005 I was still pretty freaking raw. I love the idea of the plug fairy, it's genius. I need to do that with drinking, the booze fairy isa comin...