Sunday, April 12, 2009

The future needs a big kiss

"Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all, you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing." Rob Gordon

The Boy(s) Papa, Buddy, celebrated his 72nd lap around El Sol on Mother Earth this past week. A few weeks in the rearview, My Lovely Bride asked him what he wanted for his birthday. His answer. A mixed tape (CD) by me. Which I did (four CDs to be exact.) At some point, the Boy(s) caught wind of what was going down, and asked if they could select some songs for a CD, to which we (me and My Lovely Bride) said, why not make a Boy(s) mix for Papa's birthday. Which they did (one glorious CD to be exact.) My Lovely Bride suggested we burn a copy for their memory box. I decided to do one better and chronicle it here so in the Buck Rogers Future, the Boy(s) will have a snap shot of what music they were into when they were 7 and 5 years old. The songs that follow were selected by them alone. I only helped identify a song if they didn't know the name (they often name a song by lyrics versus the actual song title or artist.) They got pretty good taste if I do say so myself, especially considering their age. I've added a few notes, as well as who picked what song for posterity.

72 (Papa's age on April 7, 2009): E & Wy Mix

1: Highway To Hell by AC/DC
Boy(s) pick. Great choice, which makes a powerful opening statement.

2: The Devil Went Down To Georgia by Charlie Daniels
Wy's pick. The Younger Boy loves this song because of Guitar Hero and battling the devil. Nice symmetry with the opening track.

3: Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day
E's pick. The Elder Boy has loved Green Day since he was very small. He used to call it 'angry music.' Nice symmetry redux with Track 1 and 2.

4: I was Made for Lovin' You by Kiss
Wy's pick, although both the Boy(s) love this track as I BLOGGED here.

5: T.N.T. by AC/DC
E's pick. The Elder Boy loves this track, especially the oy, oy, oy part, and most everything by AC/DC (he leans more toward old school AC/DC with Bon Scott handling vocals.)

6: Viva La Vida by Coldplay
E's pick. Nice jump cut transition from previous track.

7: American Music by Violent Femmes
E's pick. Wy likes this song too, but not as much as the Elder Boy and My Lovely Bride. Sick funny and Father of the Year worthy when I hear E sing along to this song (Did you do too many drugs too.)

8: Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
Wy's pick. This has been a favorite of Wy Wy's for a very long time (which is saying a lot since he's only 5.)

9: Helicopter by Bloc Party
E's pick. Turned onto it by Guitar Hero.

10: Who Let The Dogs by Baha Men
Wy's pick. This song is so dissimilar to what the Younger Boy generally digs, yet he loves it. Cheesy good fun.

11: Barracuda by Heart
E's pick. Been a favorite for more than a year now.

12: Beer Cans by Old 97's
E's pick. Random out take Old 97's cover that the Boy loves, while not loving much else by one of my favorite bands.

13: Hot by Smash Mouth
E's pick. Random Smash Tune that E got turned onto from a Hot Wheels DVD his Granny bought for him when he was three.

14: Rock And Roll All Nite by Kiss
Wy's pick. Our man Bruce and his Lovely Bride Kim, knowing of Wy's love of Guitar Hero, got Wy a rock-n-roll birthday card for his 5th birthday party that plays this song. Wy has been hooked ever since.

I'm not sure what Buddy (Papa) thought of the Boy(s) mixed tape (CD.) I for one think it is awesome.

Until I BLOG again...Let me in the sound.

No comments: