Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Zoinks!

One fine Saturday a few weeks in the rearview, I was being like Fonzie. Not in the cool sense. I mean in the bathroom as your office sense. You see, Dear Reader, I had left the rest of the Team in the front of the house and retired to my office to take care of some business. Even though it is a cliche, the truth is, the bathroom is the only room in the house I can enjoy some solitude when the rest of the Team is up and around.

So, there I sat, on my number 2 throne of impotence, reading a magazine, when I heard Ethan and Wyatt running down the hall. He was saying something about a monster in one of our closets. Then the Elder Boy said, "Daphne, you go see if the monster is in there."

"Daphne? Who's Daphne?" was what I was thinking when the Elder Boy, ever the straw boss, told the Younger Boy to hold his flashlight higher so they could find the monster. The Younger Boy apparently didn't comply, and Ethan then yelled, "Wyatt!" At which point, I heard the two of them run back down the hall toward the front of the house.

Intrigued by what I had heard, I decided to leave my fortress of solitude and see what this Daphne was doing in my bedroom. Opening the bathroom door, I immediately ran into the Elder Boy who was running back down the darkened hallway with a flashlight in his hand. Right on his heels was the Little Warrior, who also had a flashlight.

The Elder Boy greeted me with an excited, "Dad! We're playing Scooby. Mom is Daphne. Wyatt is Velma..." At which point Velma ran around his brother and into the bedroom with Daphne to inspect the closet with his flashlight. "...We're looking for monsters. I'm Scooby. You want to play?"

"Sure," I said, "Sounds like fun to me." Then figuring myself a good Shaggy to Ethan's Scooby, I stupidly asked. "Who can I be?"

The Elder Boy looked at me, and without missing a beat, said, "You're Fred."

Sweet mother of all that is good. Did I miss a rim shot, or the laugh track? Fred. Fred? Fred? The Elder Boy thought I would make a good Fred?

I guess at the end of the day, Ethan and his Mom are even more alike than I thought, as they both think I'm funny.

Until I BLOG again...Ruh-roh.

No comments: