Friday, April 11, 2008

Welcome to the Jungle

The Little Warrior is a rock-n-roll pirate if ever there were. Seriously. The Boy is 4 and two of his favorite songs are, I Wanna be Your Dog by The Stooges and Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo.

Channeling Angus Young

Which is why I wasn't surprised when Wy told me the song that was playing while he was swinging in the backyard after dinner was his new favorite song.

"Really," I said, "I like this song, it's called Welcome to the Jungle."

"Jungle?"

"Jungle."

"Oh. I like it." He said. "What's jungle?"

"A jungle can mean different things. Like a dense forest with a bunch of plants. But in this song, they mean the city is a jungle."

"Like lions."

"Lions don't really live in the jungle. You're thinking of Madagascar. Lions live in the savannah."

"Oh."

"Do you remember when we went to Sea World?" I asked.

"What?"

"When you wanted to see the lions?"

"Daddy, watch me swing." he said.

Wy doesn't remember the trip to Sea World the same way as I do. One of the funniest moments (in hindsight) of the entire trip happened on Day 2, which happened to be my 40th birthday. We had just sat down for the sea lion show, our last of the day.

As the show started, the rain started, and Wy looked at me, a mean look on his face and said, "Where are the lions?"

"What?" I said, confused, pointing at the big sea lion on the stage, "They are right there, on the stage. In front of you???"

"Those aren't LIONS!!!"

"Don't yell at me....that thing there, that's a sea..."

"THAT'S NOT A LION!!!" he roared.

"Wy," I said, "They aren't lion lions, like in Africa lions, they are sea lions. This is Sea World."

"I hate Sea World." he said.

Until I BLOG again...In the jungle where we play.

No comments: