Monday, December 01, 2008

I'm walking in the street

I'm not big on contemplating my own navel on this here BLOG. It is, and always has been about my love of writing and my goofy ass attempt at a chronicle for the Buck Rogers future. That is why I do what I do, or write what I write.

But then I read a post about Team Tinsley over at Martin Randomness that shocked me. The nicest things were said about my goofy ass chronicle. It was rewarding yet strange to read. But read I did and after I was done, I decided to revisit the Hope Springs Eternal post to see if it was as funny as described. This led to me wasting a bunch of time looking through the archives at Team Tinsley which was interesting in a very staring at your navel sort of a way. This exercise along with a couple of recent comments and emails from newer Team Tinsley readers got me to thinking that I needed to compile a list of favorite posts. Which is what I did. Ten to be exact. In no particular order. I think they are pretty representational of this BLOG overall. Some are funny. Others are sad. Most are uncomfortably personal. Enjoy.

Hope springs eternal
My classic onanistic near miss in a public restroom in our quest to put the Team in Tinsley. Martin Randomness BLOG entry regarding the TT Blog and this post in particular is what led to this list. So funny some have questioned if it is real. Sadly. Yes. Read>

Living in perfect symmetry
A gut wrenching post about watching my Mom die a horrific death from cancer. Fuck me. Fuck cancer. Read>

I have no more than I did before
A routine Mr. Mom trip spins out of control with The Litter Warrior choking on a lifesaver and then vomiting all over me and a conference room at one of Tulsa's top law firms. Read>

Time knows your done
This is my last post that specifically deals with the demise of my Mom. Written six months after her death, it tells a very personal story of her telling me she has six months to live. Of all my Mom Died Fuck Cancer posts, this is the one that hurts me the most. Read>

If you smile through your fear and sorrow
A rare POST that has nothing to do with Team Tinsley and tells a funny story about me shitting in a public park. Seriously. Read>

Let me take a long last look, before we say good-bye
The story of a Turtle named Tula, and my issues with letting go. Read>

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight
Can reading Walter the Farting Dog at kindergarten story time put you on red? Read>

Escalators aren't scary
Unless you are a crazy Colombian named Juan. Read>

And Liberty She Pirouette
The story of how we ended up with Gretchen (who was rechristened Ruby) the dog. Read>

I need to remember this...
These are the little moments that led me to create this crazy BLOG in the first place. The whole blink you eyes nature of time and how fast things change. Rereading it the other day I was struck by how much has changed in four short years. Read>

Until I BLOG again...And the hair that makes the people stop and stare.

1 comment:

Chad and Mary Kate Martin said...

I get nervous leaving a comment or communicating with you – I feel like I need to be witty and clever (neither of which am I naturally) so that I don’t look like a total idiot when you read whatever it is I have to say but today I am not even going to try.

First – thank you for the shout out to our Randomness. Considering your blog was our inspiration it is quite the honor to have you call us out personally. We (yes my husband is a big fan too!) check your blog weekly.

I wanted to let you know that I admire you for putting it out there especially where your mom is concerned. I again was moved to tears re-reading your entries. I talked with Jess Espinoza about it awhile ago wondering if I was a little on the stalker side to feel your pain so deeply. She assured me that she too felt the loss although she did get a chance to meet your mom and is obviously closer to your family. The point being that your sons are incredibly lucky to have such a detailed and intimate look at their lives and will have an understanding of their father that many do not ever get with their parents.

I also wanted to mention an entry that is special to me – the one that really got me hooked. In November of 2005, we were in NJ to be with the Espinozas and Andrew read us Help Me. It was a tough weekend for us but we would break into laughter whenever anyone would say in a small little voice “Help Me.”

I have been a fan ever since – three years of Stu’s wit, wisdom, and heart. I am definitely better for it.